Sunday, October 5, 2008

Bad News

A telephone call delivered bad news,
automatically I reached for the booze,
a friend’s husband was killed in a plane crash,
I was off to console her in a dash.

Five somber faces were looking for Dad,
not understanding, they were getting mad,
the little ones sensed that something was wrong,
the night was going to be painfully long.

Tears flowing freely, I hugged my dear friend,
a grief-stricken look acknowledged the end,
one day a wife, the next day a widow,
shocked, hysterical, she almost let go.

I felt helpless during this tragedy,
is it enough to offer sympathy?
Then I remembered that there is prayer,
providing strength layer upon layer.

My friend and I faced the night together,
strength and courage kept grief on a tether,
the blackness of night faded into dawn,
the morning dew sparkled on the front lawn.

The comforting sun’s rays brought her new hope,
she became confident that she could cope,
in her heart her husband would have his place,
cherished memories she would soon embrace.

3 comments:

on the edge said...

She was so lucky to have such a loving friend to help her through the dark .

on the edge said...

Oh ... forgot to tell you ... love the new layout . Cool soothing colors !

Serena said...

Glad you like the new layout!

The only part of this poem that is true is a colleague of mine lost her husband in a plane crash. I created the story centered around that fact.